William Smeed was born in early 1791 and baptized on 30 January 1791 in Otford, Kent, England. He was the son of Elizabeth Smeed.
William married Caroline Turner on 2 November 1814 in Withyham, Sussex. The couple had twelve children during a long life together.
He was the farmer at Brooklands Farm and then for many years the farmer at Fairlight Farm. Both of these farms are near East Grinstead, Sussex. William died at Fairlight Farm on 7 May 1880. He is buried beside Caroline at St. Mary Magdalene Parish Church in Cowden, Kent.