George Alan Milne (1924 – 1998) and Dorcas Hamilton Adams (1925 – 2008) were married on 26 August 1950 in Atwood, Ontario.
Phyllis Gwendolyn Smeed was born on 16 August 1921 in Dormansland, Surrey, England. She was the daughter of Charles Smeed 3rd and Frances Tester Smeed. Phyllis married Harold Knowles on 19 July 1941 in Dormansland.
Phyllis came to St. Thomas, Ontario with her two young daughters, Mary and Betty, in 1946 as a war bride. Two sons, Bill and John, were born once Phyllis and Harold were in Canada.
Phyllis died on 15 June 1995 in St. Thomas.
Peter Hewitt Nash and Joan Mary Barnfield were married on 14 August 1948 at St. James Church, Stoke Orchard, Gloucestershire.
The wedding was of special interest as it was the first marriage ceremony ever performed in the eight hundred year old church which had not previously been licensed to conduct such rites.
The accompanying photo was from a contemporary news item in a local paper.
Frances Maud Tester was born on 9 August 1893 in Ringmer, Sussex. She was the daughter of Thomas Tester and Elizabeth Scott Tester. She married Charles Smeed 3rd on 12 January 1918. The couple and their children resided in Dormansland, Surrey for many years. Frances died on 10 September 1965.
Thinking of you today, Nanny.
Bernard and Herbert Smeed were born on 6 August 1867. Herbert died on 7 August 1867. His twin brother, Bernard, survived for a short while but passed away on 27 August 1867. They were the sons of Charles Smeed and Ellen Lindfield Smeed of East Grinstead, Sussex.
This week Elizabeth and I had a wonderful time on a nostalgic road trip to Southwestern Ontario.
In Listowel we visited with cousins, Wanda and Roy Bridge, Velma Hamilton, and Barb Smith who was accompanied by her lovely granddaughter, Joy. We also saw Sandie and George Arlein. Sandie was Elizabeth’s grade five teacher and George worked with Dad at Ontario Hydro.
While in Listowel we also did the rounds of our old haunts and some cemeteries as well. On to Goderich to see the sun set into Lake Huron which we remember from camp and cottage days. Of course we checked out the camp where the Listowel Recreation hosted Camp Aquatalah for many years. Some things seemed the same; some things were much changed. We were last there in 1965!
Last stop was Stratford where we made a brief stop at the Perth County Museum where a long standing mystery was solved. (More on that in another post.) Before heading home we had lunch and a brief but enjoyable visit with cousins, Joan Rolph and Marg Illman.